WHAT IS FLARE?
Flare is an ongoing project that aims to provide support for new international theatre artists with the potential to define the theatre of the future, to establish Manchester as an international hub for new radical theatre makers, to tap into developments in new theatre making emerging across Europe and further afield, and to develop the contemporary theatre audience in Manchester.
Flare has so far produced the Flare International Festival of New Theatre in 2017, 2015 and 2011, and The Flare Weekender in 2012 and 2014.
The Flare International Festival of New Theatre 2017...
was a five day festival of radical theatre by new artists from Spain, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Turkey and the UK.
brought together around 70 artists, as well as a team of 40 volunteers.
took place at HOME, Royal Exchange Theatre, Contact, Lowry, Martin Harris Centre, and the new festival hub at 70 Oxford St.
included 20 amazing performances, as well as workshops, discussions, the Open Forum, the festival party and a Lord Mayor's reception.
The Flare International Festival of New Theatre 2015...
was a six day festival of radical theatre by new theatre artists from Australia, Belgium, France, Germany, Georgia, Holland, Poland, Slovenia, Spain and the UK.
brought together around 70 artists, as well as a team of 30 volunteers.
took place at Royal Exchange Theatre, Contact, Z-arts and the Martin Harris Centre in Manchester.
included 23 amazing performances, performance workshops, discussions, an Open Forum and the extra-ordinary Flare Party.
The Flare Weekender 2012 + 2014...
- were two day mini-festivals of some of the best radical new theatre by emerging theatre artists from the North West, the UK and elsewhere in Europe.
- took place at Z-arts in Manchester, on 8+9 June 2012 and 13+14 June 2014, presented in collaboration with Word of Warning.
- each brought together around 40 theatre artists in the public presentation of approximately 10 performance pieces.
- and featured Cult Arts Podcasters The Saturday Arts Club live streaming up-to-the-minute interviews, discussions and reviews as they happened, provided via the club site on thesaturdayartsclub.co.uk.
The Flare International Festival of New Theatre 2011...
- was a six day festival of radical theatre by new theatre artists from Croatia, France, Germany, Holland, Portugal, Russia, Spain and the UK.
- brought together around 90 artists, as well as a team of 40 volunteers.
- took place at Contact, Capitol Theatre and Zion Arts Centre, Manchester.
- included 24 amazing performances, a national panel discussion on the future of the art of theatre, performance workshops with leading practitioners, and the extra-ordinary Flare Party.
Flare grew out of the MIST (Manchester International Student Theatre) Festival which was established in 2007 as a response to the inauguration of the Manchester International Festival that year. It was further inspired by the ACT Festival in Bilbao, the ITs Festival in Amsterdam, Future Mess in Sarajevo, Escrita na Paisagem in Portugal and other festivals, programmes and experiences.
Artistic Director - Neil Mackenzie
Audience Director - Clare Simpson
General Director - Laura Broome
Development Director - Teresa Brayshaw
The Flare Advisory Board - Annie Lloyd, Leanne Feeley, Teresa Brayshaw and Kevin Egan.
Flare wishes to acknowledge the ongoing support of...
- Arts Council England
- Manchester Metropolitan University
- Royal Exchange Theatre
- University of Manchester
- The Lowry
- MMU Contemporary Theatre and Performance