FLARE17 is looking to programme around 20 performance pieces by new artists and companies making cutting edge theatre, from anywhere in the world.
What kind of theatre is FLARE17 looking for?
FLARE17 is looking to present the very best work that is available, being made by 'emerging' artists or artists new to Manchester and the UK. In the judgement of the festival, the work should be 'innovative', 'radical', 'experimental' or 'cutting edge'.
This may include theatre that, we believe, tests accepted ideas of the nature of theatrical experience, that challenges the boundaries of the art-form from an informed and conceptual basis, that re-considers the process of meaning-making in theatre, or that questions theatre's relationship to the cultural context it is presented in. Or of course, given the nature of innovation, it may do something else.
Any theatre makers who are current, full-time, under-graduate students or 2017 graduates, or would like to show work still in development, should apply to the FUTURE FLARES strand – please click here for details.
What will FLARE17 offer theatre artists?
Flare is committed to the support of new artists as much as the presentation of new work. As such the festival offers artists:
- 5 days participating in an intensive international festival designed to nurture the latest community of experimental theatre makers.
- A high profile public performance opportunity in one of the leading studio theatres in Manchester, and a chance to show work to other festival directors and venue programmers.
- Free access to everything - performances, discussions, networking sessions and workshops.
- Full travel expenses*, accommodation and food for the duration of the festival (further support may be possible).
- Access to the prestigious Manchester International Festival, details to be confirmed (previous highlights include Marina Abramovic, Robert Wilson, Marten Spangberg).
*where possible. Inter-continental travel costs may not be covered.
Are you interested in being part of Flare17, or do you know an artist or theatre group who you think we should know about? If so please get in touch, and/or complete the application form as soon as you can:
and forward it to: email@example.com
The deadline for applications is 17 March 2017, but the sooner the better... We really look forward to hearing from you!
Neil Mackenzie - Artistic Director
“What's so thrilling, and vital, about Flare is the intricately balanced shared-space it creates for both emerging and more established artists, managed with as much generosity as artistic rigour. Consequently it's that rare and precious thing: a festival able to accommodate a fantastically adventurous and cutting-edge program of unusual quality alongside a genuine commitment to the artists of the future.”
Sammy Metcalfe - Sleepwalk Collective, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain